Pages

Thursday 15 December 2016

When you can't


"When you can't run, you crawl ... and when you can't crawl, when you can't do that... 

 'You find someone to carry you.'" 
(firefly)



I remember as a child being utterly fascinated by the thick newspapers that graced my Great Grandpa's footstool every weekend. Not only did they have the best comics  and word searches which he continued to pass along to me until he passed away my first year of college, but, for many year the local CAS would feature a child or sibling group in need of a family.


Adoption was something I always remember being aware of, let's face it, as a Canadian everyone up here has heard of a certain red-headed orphan girl from P.E.I. But I was the weird child who read a story and needed to know what was behind it so I started researching. 

I found vague statistics that saddened me as a child (yep back in the pre-google days) and mostly put it to rest due to a lack of connection. When college came I stumbled upon Reece's Rainbow and that interest was renewed  only this time with more passion. Now there was internet, research, I could double and triple check the facts (did I mention that the term nerd is often used when describing me? I think it's pretty accurate and usually loving). I didn't like the facts.

Did you know that if  orphans founded their own country they'd be the 10th most populated?
Did you know that many children with special needs will not face happy futures after aging out falling victim to trafficking, drugs, gangs, poverty, suicide, or wasting away in an institution?
Did you know that the brain develops differently when faced with trauma or lack of human interaction?

How does one face a situation when hundreds of thousands of lives are being set up to fail and falter.
I remember reading a blog,
It  told the starfish story and I allowed my thinking to shift. 
How  do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
How do you help the orphan crises? One step at a time. 
It's really the only way to do anything. One step and then another, walking in faith.


But sometimes it wears on me and I see that weariness in others too. 
Life keeps us firmly unable to do anything but write, shout, and try to help raise funds to brings these kids home before it's too late though my heart aches to do more.
But sometimes it feels like I'm standing on a beach covered with starfish and no one's getting to the water.

My first Angel Tree girl has aged out. She will never have a family and faces life in whatever system her country has  established. We shouted and fundraised but no mama or papa stood up.


My second child still waits with a larger grant than most. She's waited 2 years already and continues to wait, her file has information, though dated and yet no one steps up.

My current girly is sitting at the bottom of the  tree

Ginny

With so little information and a dated picture, interest just isn't there despite my efforts and my heart breaks as i see her slipping through the cracks.

I'm tired and  weary and my heart longs for things I can't  control. Today would you help me out and share this little girl, share the Christmas Campaign, because I'm weary and heavy hearted  and could sure  use someone to help carry me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment